Positions are available for research on next-generation networking at the SENSES Lab of the Department of Computer Science of the University of Rome La Sapienza. Topics of interest include:
- Underwater sensor networks, for monitoring, surveillance, and coastal sustainability, including underwater robotics and multi-modal (e.g., acoustic and optical) communications.
- Advanced wireless technologies for the future Internet of Things, including wake up radios for zero power Internet of Things, Internet of Things security, network virtualization (software-defined networking), mmWave networks, dynamic spectrum sharing.
These positions, supported by cutting edge european and national research projects (including Sapienza-led SUNRISE project) are synergetic with the possibility of starting a Ph.D. in November 2016 on the same salary. Successful candidates will contribute to forefront research on underwater and terrestrial networking in a stimulating international group. Collaboration with leading European, US and Korean researchers (see SENSES web site for on going collaborations), visits for at least six months to international institutions, participation to international at sea and in field campaigns and internships are a distinguished feature of the PhD experience in our group.
Candidates are expected to:
- Have earned a M.S. or equivalent in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Telecommunication Engineering or related fields by the time of the application.
- Possess strong programming skills in C++. Knowledge of Python is a plus.
- Be fluent in English. (Knowledge of Italian is NOT a requirement).
- Publications in networking and experience with network simulation and/or testbed programming are a plus
- Application deadline: Monday July 25th 2016.
- Starting date: As early as possible. Ideally September 2016.
- Duration: 1+1+1 years (in the case of a Ph.D.)
- Salary: E25,200/year, depending on qualifications. This type of research contract is exempt from most taxes. E25200/year corresponds to around E1570/month.
HOW TO APPLY
The applicant must send the following documentation to petrioliATdi.uniroma1.it: a detailed CV of the candidate; contact information for at least three references; a short description (two to three pages) of research performed during the master thesis; transcripts. Please, include the job reference [SENSES-1-2016] in the subject line. Further inquiries can be directed to professor Chiara Petrioli at petrioliATdi.uniroma1.it.
ABOUT THE SAPIENZA UNIVERSITY OF ROME
The Sapienza University of Rome is a seven-century-old university located in the heart of Rome, the capital of Italy. It is one of the largest universities in Europe, with around 150,000 students. The College of Information Engineering, Informatics and Statistics, which include the department of Computer Science, is one of the youngest, most energetic and scientifically active environments of “La Sapienza.” The University is an equal opportunity employer.
ABOUT THE COMPUTER SCIENCE DEPARTMENT
The department of Computer Science of “La Sapienza” is a modern and well-equipped research department with top-class faculty and a strong Ph.D. program. The department is consistently ranked as n.1 CS Department in Italy according to both national and international rankings. The department comprises 44 faculty members with extensive experience of coordination of international research projects, including three ERC grant holders. Faculty include Fulbright, Marie Curie and Sloan fellowships awardees, and recipients of prestigious international awards. Selected candidates for these positions will be based in Rome, a world-class city that is among the most historic, beautiful and interesting cities in the planet. The department is situated in the vicinity of the main University Campus, close to a student area with cafes, bars, restaurants, top-rated museums, and it is only a short bus ride from the city center. Candidates should not worry about the language barrier, as Italians are in general very friendly. English is spoken widely throughout the department. Information on the PhD program in computer science can be found here.