One of the major challenges in the use of Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) on a large scale is the ability to read a large number of tags quickly. Central to solving this problem is resolving collisions that occur when multiple tags reply to the query of a reader. To this purpose several MAC protocols for passive RFID systems have been proposed. These typically build on traditional MAC schemes such as aloha and tree based protocols. Our objective is to design novel anticollision schemes able to fast identify large number of tags. We have designed protocols that overcome the limits of current solutions, proposing schemes for tag population estimation and identification. We have also proposed schemes which exploit interference cancellation for fast tag identification. We are working on solutions for mobile RFID systems. We have developed a simulator for RFID protocols, and performed experiments on performance of current RFID systems. Part of this work is performed within the Artemis CHIRON project, and in collaboration with Prof. Tom La Porta (Penn State University).
Fast tag identification in RFID systems
- "Anticollision Protocols for Single-Reader RFID Systems: Temporal Analysis and Optimization", IEEE Trans. Mob. Comput., Vol. 10. 2011, pp. 267-279.
- "Interference cancellation-based RFID tags identification". MSWiM. 2011. pp. 111-118.
Useful links and papers on RFID systems
We report a list of references addressing identification of passive tag in RFID systems. The list is not meant to be exhaustive and is under construction.
- L. Pan, H. Wu, "Smart Trend-Traversal Protocol for RFID Tag Arbitration", IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol.10, no.11, pp.3565-3569, November 2011.
- V. Namboodiri, L. Gao, "Energy-Aware Tag Anticollision Protocols for RFID Systems", IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol.9, no.1, pp.44-59, Jan. 2010.
- T. Li, S. Chen, Y. Ling, "Identifying the missing tags in a large RFID system", in Proceedings of ACM MobiHoc 2010, New York, NY, USA.
- L. Xie, B. Sheng, C. Tan, H. Han, Q. Li, D. Chen, "Efficient tag identification in mobile rfid systems", in Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM 2010.
- Y.C. Lai, C.C. Lin, "Two blocking algorithms on adaptive binary splitting: single and pair resolutions for RFID tag identification", in IEEE/ACM Trans. Netw. 17, 3 (June 2009) pp.962-975.
- Jae Sung Choi, Hyun Lee, D.W. Engels, R. Elmasri, "Robust and Dynamic Bin Slotted Anti-Collision Algorithms in RFID System", in IEEE International Conference on RFID, pp.191-198, 16-17 April 2008.
- L. Simon, P. Saengudomlert, U. Ketprom, "Speed Adjustment Algorithm for an RFID Reader and Conveyor Belt System Performing Dynamic Framed Slotted Aloha." in IEEE International Conference on RFID, pp.199-206, 16-17 April 2008.
- M. Bonuccelli, F. Lonetti, F. Martelli, "Instant collision resolution for tag identification in RFID networks", in Elsevier Ad Hoc Networks, vol.5, pp.1220-1232, 2007.
- M.A. Bonuccelli, F. Lonetti, F. Martelli, "Exploiting id knowledge for tag identification in rfid networks", In Proceedings of ACM PE-WASUN 2007, New York, NY, USA, pp.70-77.
- D. Lee, K. Kim, W. Lee, "Q+-Algorithm: an enhanced RFID tag collision arbitration algorithm ", in Ubiquitous Intelligence and Computing, LNCS, Springer Berlin/Heidelberg, vol.4611, pp.23-32, 2007.
- J.Myung and W.Lee "Adaptive Binary Splitting: a RFID tag collision arbitration protocol for tag identification", ACM Mobile Networks and Applications, 2006 11: 711-722.
- M. Kodialam, T. Nandagopal, "Fast and reliable estimation schemes in RFID systems", in ACM MobiCom 2006, New York, NY, USA, pp.322-333.
- J. Myung, W. Lee, "Adaptive splitting protocols for RFID tag collision arbitration", In ACM MobiHoc 2006, New York, NY, USA, 202-213.
- Su-Ryun Lee, Sung-Don Joo, Chae-Woo Lee, "An enhanced dynamic framed slotted ALOHA algorithm for RFID tag identification", in The 2nd Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Systems: Networking and Services, pp.166-172, 17-21 July 2005.
- Ho-Seung Choi, Jae-Ryon Cha, Jae-Hyun Kim, "Fast wireless anti-collision algorithm in ubiquitous ID system", in Proceedings of Vehicular Technology Conference, vol.6, pp.4589-4592, 26-29 Sept.2004.
- H. Vogt, "Efficient object identification with passive RFID tags." In Proceedings of Pervasive2002, Springer-Verlag, Apr. 2002.
- C. Law, K. Lee, K.Y. Siu, "Efficient memoryless protocol for tag identification (extended abstract)", in ACM DIALM '00, New York, NY, USA, 2000.